Being in an accident can be traumatizing. It leaves both physical and mental scars. Even if you are cautious, accidents can happen due to the negligence or irresponsibility of others. Differently-abled people are more at risk of accidents. This is because they cannot rely on certain faculties that others can. Unless they are being overseen by a loved one or a companion dog, they could become victims of road accidents or slip and fall accidents.
If you are a differently-abled person and you have hurt yourself in an accident that was not your fault, then you are entitled to compensation from either the person whose car caused the accident or the person on whose property you fell and injured yourself. Here is a detailed guide on what you should do next if you find yourself in such a situation.
A Step-By-Step Guide To How A Differently-Abled Person Can Get Compensation For An Accident
- First things first. If you have been in an accident, your first priority should be your health. Check to see if you have cut yourself and are bleeding. Which parts of your body are hurting? If you fell on your back or hurt your head, try not to move much as spinal injuries and head injuries can be more dangerous than they might seem at first.
- If you can move, call 911 for an ambulance. If you cannot, there will be people who will be coming to your help as soon as the accident happens. Or try calling out for help.
- Once paramedics arrive, convey to them the nature of your injury and cooperate with them fully. You will be taken to the hospital where your treatment will begin.
- If it is a car accident and your injury is not severe and the car that caused the accident has not fled the scene, collect insurance information and other data from the occupants of the other car. Make sure you have there-
- Full name and contact information
- Insurance company and policy number
- Driver’s license and license plate number
- Type, color, and model of vehicle
- Location of the accident
- If your family or friends have arrived on the scene, ask them to collect the names and phone numbers of people who had witnessed the scene. Witness testimony can help your personal injury lawyer to build a case for you.
- It is also important to take photos of the scene of the accident, especially if it is the slip and fall kind. The owner of the property may try to make the evidence of his/her negligence disappear. If it was an obstacle, an uneven or wet floor, a scrunched carpet, a dent or depression, or a poorly lit passage or staircase, you need proof that it was indeed the property owner’s fault that the accident happened.
- File a police report if you have suffered an injury or if the driver of the car that caused the accident does not have insurance or if the driver was drunk or under the influence of drugs. Do not forget to keep a copy of the report which will be necessary when you decide to seek a settlement.
- At the hospital, make sure doctors are documenting your treatment and therapy in detail. This will give a complete picture of the extent of your injuries and serve as vital evidence in the claim settlement case. If needed ask your loved ones to keep tabs on medical documentation and ensure that every document bears a signature of a certified healthcare professional.
- Make sure that you follow your doctor’s instructions and take all your medicines on time and attend therapy sessions. Do not give the insurers an opportunity to allege that your injuries were aggravated due to your non-compliance with your treatment procedure.
- If you feel like the insurer is offering you a smaller quantum of compensation than you deserve, then you will need the help of personal injury lawyers. Besides, there may be many other grounds of compensation (for example, you are differently-abled, and your settlement case will not be the same as others) that you may be entitled to but you may not be aware of.
- The next round of negotiation will take place between your personal injury lawyers and the insurance company and your lawyers will try to procure you the best possible settlement. If the insurer does not yield, you may have to file a compensation suit. Personal injury lawyers will handle your case.
At Claim Settlement, our network of lawyers.. we connect you with have over 20 years of experience in handling personal injury and accident cases and have helped clients recover the maximum compensation in claim settlements. Our initial consultation is absolutely free and you don’t pay your lawyer until you receive the compensation you deserve. If you have suffered an injury or been in an accident call us at 1-833-892-5246 for a free consultation or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org